Facebook Logo
Home Icon

Oakwood Cemetery Annex

Located at 1601 Comal Street, Oakwood Cemetery Annex was established in 1915 after the adjacent Oakwood Cemetery ran out of lots for sale and space for pauper burials. Covering 18.2 acres with over 18,000 burials, the Annex receives approximately 70 burials each year. The cemetery with its circular drives is divided into sections A-G. The southern portion of the land is referred to as “Babyland” for infant burials, while the eastern section was named “God’s Acre” and used for burial of the poor. A gate house was also constructed around 1915 and was restored in 2013 by the City of Austin and Save Austin’s Cemeteries.

Oakwood Cemetery Annex
Photo Courtesy: Mary Thurston

National Register of Historic PlacesHistoric Designations: National Register of Historic Sites (2003. See Register Listing and Register Description) and an Austin Historic Landmark (2001)

Oakwood Cemetery Annex Residents

Oakwood Cemetery Annex Articles & Reports

Annex Building Drawings - Renovations completed in 2012