Title Bar

Biographies of Oakwood Cemetery Residents

Browse by surname: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

ALLISON, WILMER LAWSON (1904-1977) Buried in Section 2, lot 801
Wilmer Lawson Allison, tennis player, was born in San Antonio, Texas, in 1904. His family moved to Fort Worth in his youth and he became an outstanding amateur baseball player in high school. He enrolled at the University of Texas in 1925 after his father refused to permit him to sign a professional baseball contract with the Beaumont team of the Texas League. At UT, he began an internationally acclaimed career as a tennis player. Under the tutelage of Daniel A. Penick, he won the Southwest Conference and National Collegiate Athletic Association championships in 1927.Allison won the Wimbledon double title in 1929 and 1930 with partner, John Van Ryn. They are considered by many tennis historians to be the best doubles combination of the period. Allison achieved the number-one ranking in the U.S. in 1934 and 1935 and won the U.S. National Open Championship in 1935. Along with partner, Van Ryn, he claimed National Doubles in 1931 and 1935 and finished second in 1930, 1932, 1934, and1936. In 1937 after a serious injury to his lower abdomen and at this time served as an assistant to Penick at the University of Texas from 1938 -1941, when he left to join the army air corps where he achieved the rank of colonel. After his discharge he returned to the University in 1947 and served as Penick's assistant until 1957. That year he became the head tennis coach at the University, where he served until his retirement in 1972. He instituted a policy restricting athletic scholarships for tennis to players from Texas. His teams won four Southwest Conference team championships, three singles titles, and one doubles title. He was elected to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1957 and is a member of the Longhorn Hall of Honor. In 1963, he was enshrined in both the national and international tennis halls of fame. Allison died in 1977 of a heart attack, only four days after the dedication of the new University of Texas tennis facility in his and Penick's honor. Source http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/

ANDERSON, WASHINGTON (1817-1894) Buried in Section 1, lot 305
Washington (Wash) Anderson, hero of the battle of San Jacinto, was born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, where his grandfather had been a captain in the Revolutionary War. He arrived at Port Lavaca, Texas, in February 1835 with his father, Dr. Thomas Anderson and brother John D. Anderson. . On March 25, 1838, Anderson married his cousin Mary Ann Glascock. He fought in the battle of Brushy Creek in 1839. The Andersons received several land grants for service. Washington Anderson settled a short distance east of the original Round Rock in 1843 and built a gristmill, which was washed out by a flood in 1845. He signed the petition to form Williamson County in 1848. He built the county's first sawmill and gristmill and was one of the most prominent settlers of Round Rock, The Anderson home is still standing on Brushy Creek in Round Rock. Anderson served in Capt. Jesse Billingsley's company in the battle of San Jacinto, where he was wounded in the ankle. Anderson is pictured in William H. Huddle's painting The Surrender of Santa Anna. Wash Anderson died in 1894 in Round Rock of old age. Source www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/

ANDREWARTHA, JOHN (1839-1916) Buried in Section 4, lot 850
John Andrewartha, architect and civil engineer, was born in England in 1839. He trained as an engineer in the Royal Navy. He moved to Kentucky in 1865. Here he worked as an architect and engineer. He moved to Austin in 1881 in the hope that he would be chosen to design the new Capitol. Although he failed to secure the commission, he elected to settle in Austin and set up practice as an architect and civil engineer. In 1884, he designed the new Austin City-County Hospital (razed in 1929). The imposing Queen Anne style structure, located at 1405 Sabine St., was the first public hospital in Texas. Andrewartha's residential work included a number of houses, among them the Henry Hirschfeld house, 1885, and now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. He was responsible for the design of the Montopolis bridge across the Colorado River (destroyed by flooding in 1935), and St. John's Home for Negro Orphans (burned in 1956) Andrewartha died in 1916. Source http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online

ANDREWS, WILLIE ANN HUDSON (1848-1895) Buried in Section 3, lot 1005
Willie Ann Hudson Andrews, school founder and teacher, was born in Virginia in 1848. After her marriage she moved to the Harris Chapel community in Gonzales County, Texas, where she established the first of several innovative coeducational schools in south central Texas. Mrs. Andrews conducted three other schools and it was the curriculum at Science Hall which covered math, science, business, art, and music, that was considered a model course of study and drew students from across the state. School officials built a dormitory. The school boarded both male and female students, an unusual arrangement at the time. After Science Hall was destroyed by fire in the early 1880s, Mrs. Andrews consolidated her operations with Kyle Baptist Seminary. After an unsatisfactory year at the seminary, she opened Science Hall Home Institute in 1884. In 1888, at the request of a group of Austin citizens who donated a school site she established the Austin Home Institute, which operated until 1895. Willie Andrews died in 1895 at the age of 47, of injuries sustained in a carriage accident. Source http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online

ASSMAN, GEORGE PAUL (1849-1910) Buried in Section 1, Assmann lot
George Assman was born in Bavaria Oct 6, 1849. He learned his trade as gunsmith, locksmith and expert safe opener at the large army depots of Germany and Switzerland. He came to the U. S. in 1870. He was a charter member of the Austin Saenggerrunde, for which he served many years as President. He was also a trustee of the Texas German Academy and member of the Austin Hook & Ladder #1 and an agent for Anheuser-Busch Beer Co. He died May 18, 1910.