Oakwood Chapel Restoration Project
Built in 1914, the Oakwood chapel is a charming Gothic Revival style building located near the west entrance in Oakwood Cemetery in an area surrounded by burials of people of many different races. The years have taken their toll on the limestone building, and its purpose has changed from a chapel to office and storage space. Minor repairs have been made to slow the decaying process; however a more aggressive approach was required to preserve this architectural gem.
The current Oakwood Cemetery Chapel Rehabilitation project was initiated by SAC over 10 years ago when our group recognized the urgent need to restore the chapel. SAC paid for a Building Condition Assessment Report, materials testing (for lead and asbestos), a geotechnical report for assessing the type of soil under the chapel and foundation engineering in preparation for foundation stabilization, and led grassroots efforts to let the city know how important this charming building is to the history of Oakwood Cemetery and to the city itself.
This project is managed by Austin Parks & Recreation Department, and formal work began in October 2016 although it is now halted while remains discovered under and near the chapel are excavated and re-interred. Please visit PARD’s Oakwood Chapel Project for the latest status.
A “ribbon cutting” ceremony will be held by SAC and PARD after the rehabilitation project is completed. This is becoming a reality because of volunteers and local experts who have long supported SAC’s grassroots efforts to preserve Austin’s historic cemeteries.
Chapel Reports Funded by SAC to Initiate The Project
- Chapel History and Building Assessment (SAC)
- Structural Evaluation Report (Sparks Engineering)
- Feasibility Study (Heimsath Architects)
- Rehabilitation Project (SAC and Heimsath Architects)
- Chapel Rehabilitation Renderings by Heimsath Architects
Chapel Articles and Videos
- “Cemetery Renovations Reveal Secrets”, March 2017, KVUE News
- Historical Articles 1909-1914
- Chapel Architect Charles H. Page Obituary circa 1957 American Statesman
- Oakwood Cemetery: Graceful Chapel, Austin360.com, 2012
- SAC To Restore Oakwood Cemetery Chapel, Heritage Society of Austin, 2007
- Chapel Photographs